Please refer to the cover page of ET dated 14.10.2010 .The article is written by Mr.Sagar Malviya.It talks about Dabur’s new “Brand Personality” through marketing strategy to target rural consumer for health supplement; Chawanprash. The company has roped in Bhojpuri Film-Star Ravi Kishan to promote the product in the area of UP, Bihar.
After reading the article we come to know a few marketing concepts which are as follows:
· The company is going for segmentation. It will target rural people with low income to promote Chawanprash.
· Through local marketing strategy (roping the local star), it will be able to woo rural consumer in a better way.
· Company is using down market stretch strategy to capture more share in the market.
· Since no other company has used this kind of local marketing strategy, Dabur will get an advantage over its competitors.
· ROI on advertisement of Company will be good (provided it works) because company will have to pay much less than what it has paid to the brand ambassador like Amitabh Bachan & M.S.Dhoni.
· Market experts feel that it may result in under positioning of product if company does not give proper attention. Experts feel that until now it has been considered a product for urban market and positioning it for rural market may dilute the brand.